the first thing that comes to mind when i think of whit is low-key and even keeled. i don't think i have ever seen her lose her cool. when she had her first son, she talked about how she was grateful that her husband Bryan wasn't around. she wanted to be alone and deal with the labor quietly. just picturing her head down, breathing silently perfectly composed in her apartment with the lights down low seems just in character. whit wrote a little bit about how she feels about motherhood below.
Motherhood, in short, is a big, slobbery kiss from a toddler who just ate a bright, blue popsicle. Part sweet and part sticky. Some people would cringe in disgust at the thought of being attacked with bright blue saliva, but a mother welcomes the tender gesture from her sweet baby that just learned to give kisses. Yes, she is choosing to sacrifice a beautiful, clean face for the joy that comes from getting that small reassurance that her little sidekick thinks the world of her. The joy of motherhood comes in moments. The daily tasks of motherhood may seem frustrating, dirty, annoying, redundant, and sometimes downright pointless. It’s those small, sweet moments in between the rough ones that keep you going.
From the first kicks inside the womb to baby’s first steps and beyond, a mother and child have a special connection that is unlike anything else. Motherhood brings out emotions and feelings that otherwise remain dormant. The thrill of a child learning a new trick, or the pain of a crying, sick baby are shared between mother and child. Being a mother teaches patience, sacrifice, and selflessness. Aren’t these characteristics we all strive to develop? I can think of no better way to instill these characteristics in a woman than giving her the responsibility of loving and caring for a child. These sweet little spirits that come into our lives are such a blessing. I am honored to be a mother and understand the enormous importance of this role. Yes, there are days that I turn away from the sticky slobber, or curse to myself while I am fishing poop out of yet another spoiled bath, but when my little boy wraps his arms around my neck and gives me little “squeezes” I am reminded why I am here. If I do nothing but love my little boy and teach him how to be a kind, caring, gentleman, I will be satisfied.
love you whit.


Hihihi
ReplyDelete