Saturday, May 24, 2008

questions

Okay. So I have a little something to discuss with the blogging crowd.

Yesterday I watched the season finale of Grey's Anatomy for social reasons. (for the record, this is the second and probably last time I have ever watched it, so I am not a true Grey's fan.) Now, the episode was laden with emotion, drama, and heart-wrenching passion. Among those emotions were quite a few physical sparks between men and women, no doubt relationships that the audience had been hoping for all season. Well, towards the end of the show, two women began making out. Now, my reaction was akin to a child not wanting to hear his mother's instructions, I plugged my ears, closed my eyes and sang. However, I have begun to wonder about my reaction. What is an appropriate response to entertainment that is....undesired? What if a person who was gay was in the room.... could I leave? Close my eyes? look away? Practicing homosexuality is wrong. The Bible, the Book of Mormon, along with multiple other religious leaders have made that clear. But how do you not offend someone who has made that choice and still stand for what you believe? What do you think?

(a caveat- I understand that Grey's has thousands of other inappropriate relationships etc. and that two women making out is not one of the worst scenes that was on that episode. I probably won't be watching Grey's again, but I thought it made for a good example for a bigger issue.)

1 comment:

  1. my response:
    http://johnlesueur.blogspot.com/2008/05/gay-make-out-in-media.html

    ReplyDelete